Sun County

From: Richard Develyn <richard_at_skaro.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 23:16:42 +0000

Thanks to Nick and Mike for your replies, though I have a few more questions / suggestions I'd like to pose / make.

It's a process I'm beginning to think of calling Probing Gestalt Glorantha (PGG for short). Gestalt Glorantha (GG) is how I'm beginning to think Glorantha is conceived (i.e. as a product of, but somewhat exceeding the sum of, the ideas and beliefs of the participating Gloranthaphiles). I've yet to finish thinking this through but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

Anyway - all help, hints, pointers, etc, gratefully received.

First of all looking at the idea of ancient things kicking around the area: before Sun County it was part of Pavis County, Pavis not long built was being ravaged by giants. Previous to this there were horse nomads living here from Pent, and before that normal Waha/Eiritha nomads. Were there ever Hsunchen here (apart from Basmoli)? Could there be things hanging around from these previous populations?

No mention is made of when the first cradle floated down - only when it was first spotted by a Jrusteli. Could there be an ancient cradle stuck in the North Bog? Is anything much known about these old cradles?

The Solitude of Testing was a time when there was a big troll dominance in the area. Could it be that at certain points the Sun Domers were pushed right back, maybe even over-run? Could if have happened that they were forced to fight a guerilla warfare to get their land back, and that the current Sun Dome temple is in fact the third in the area (the second having been burnt to the ground by Zorak Zorani trolls)?

Going to the current day I have a problem in not having this Giant Cradle scenario. It would make sense to me to set my campaign just after it happened. Could you please give me some guidelines as to how the political situation would have changed? What is Solanthos likely to be trying to do now and who's likely to be trying to do things to him? Has Sor-Eel gone, for example, and how are things likely to develop?

I don't necessarily mean to take up a lot of your time with this - just give me some political guidelines that I can use.

A few other odd issues.

I take your point, Mike, that nothing has really been figured out for most of the places in Sun County. If there's anything at all that you can tell me about any of them then it'll help me get more of a picture together. If you really have nothing to add then I can just start making things up using the names as my only clue. Haymon's Gate, for example, is obviously a gate across the road of some sort, but it's well within Sun County lands so it probably dates back to some time when it was at a boundary between one place and another. Yelm's Griddle sounds interesting (!). I can work from nothing, you see, but I'd rather work from something, especially if it's something which might exist a little bit in GG (Gestalt Glorantha).

I notice that Yelmalions don't get on with dwarves. It would seem to me that dwarves could try to undermine the currency of Sun County using some sort of fool's gold.

I don't quite understand why some nomads are friendly to Yelmalions, and some hostile. Is it just a per-clan/tribe/family thing?

Is there any kindred between Griffins and lions or Basmoli?

I'm slightly confused by the colour code on the map at the front. Is it supposed to be Green=Fertile or Green=High Ground? I thought the former until I realised there was no Green next to the rivers.

Many thanks

Richard
- --
Richard Develyn