Richard the Robin?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:45:39 CET

Frederic Ferro:
>Richard the Tiger-hearted, the Rokari Robin Hood, is, like
>Leonardo, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the RW I would prefer
>to avoid IMG.

For a start, I never ever proposed that Richard would have taken the role of the outlaw. Au contraire, I see the Rokari in the position to suppress the unlucky natives of Heortland. I do borrow a bit from Robin Hood, but mostly the version which appears as a side issue in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, i.e. one of several themes of "suppressed Saxon" vs. "oppressive Norman". (Which is not exactly historical, to my knowledge, at least not at that late date).

>I'd rather call Richard the Tiger-hearted
>"Richard d'Estaurenic" but I wonder if a younger son of
>the Count of Estaurenic could use this name.

>From "How the West Was One" we have his family name, Richard de
Loimbard. According to the same source, by 1614 or so he had become the younger brother of the count, and that's when (and why) he left Seshnela.

>The solution may be to change the reference from the King
>of England to Ivanhoe. Richard's nickname would be
>"the Disinherited" (El Desdischado, the "Prince Of the >Abolished
Tower" in Gerard de Nerval's sonnet).

There are a couple of _major_ differences between Richard the mercenary captain (in 1615) and Ivanhoe. Richard has these 200 hardened fighters under his command, is not a native of the land, and rises quickly in the favour of the Hendriki king for his decisive victories in the Praxian March and his extraordinary performance at the king's (somewhat rustic, for modern Malkioni standards) tournament in Durengard on (St.) Humaktsday.

In my campaign, the characters are quite unsympathetic towards Richard's rise, being native Heortlanders or recently immigrated Orlanthi refugees from Sartar (after the Starbrow Rebellion). If your characters are Rokari knights or sergeants (peasant-caste warriors), they might well be all in favour of Richard's ascension. (I'd like to see that campaign, it would be very interesting to compare notes and ideas...)

>Another name is strange : Barbarian Town.
>Why would the Orlanthi or the Pol-Joni found a city with such
>a name?

I suppose that neither the local Orlanthi (the Sartarite Dundealos tribe) nor the nomad Pol Joni founded the town, but that it originated as a fortified trading post which attracted a few farmers. It might have been named this way by the founding merchants for the many Pol Joni barbarians (many of whom would have been exiles from the Praxian beast riders until their recent acceptance with the Pol Joni) who chose to become semi-sedentary here. Probably as chieftain of the town, extorting the resident traders.

>Who call it this way? Sun Dome Templars?
>Should it be something like "Alakoring Town"?

Perhaps "Merchants' Post", or "Poor Post" (as opposed to "Rich Post" in the Grazelands).

If the chieftain changes with the tides of power, there would be little point to rename the place every couple of years.