Re: Humakti and Healers

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:09:38 EST

> From: Richard Ohlson <richo_at_epix.net>
> Second, the concept that only Chalana Arroy initiates, due to their
> strong association with life, can heal a Humakti is interesting though
> horribly limiting. One thing that I would like to see would be a nice
> myth about how Humakt SAVED Chalana Arroy during the gods war.

There is already a myth explaining Humakt and healing. He (in Cults of Prax) is given as one of the possible fathers of Arroin. Presumably, this occurred (if it did - CA never said who the father was, after all) before he found Death, while he was just one of the (top) students in Kargan Tor's school back on the Spike. I can't remember whether Arroin was covered in the Humakt or the CA section, so I can't say whether it was one or both cults' myths that were referenced. Thus, he either had healing as a lover's gift (I guess that she got protection from bullies like Shargash and Zorak Zoran [if that is not redundant]), or learns it from his possible son, while he is teaching the boy to stand up for himself.

> Perhaps she was about to die an unhonorable death or due to a mistake that
> Humakt made, and in gratitude she taught him how to heal. Heck, it could
> even be a matter where Humakt grossly injured a friend (Orlanth?) and
> had to make a quest to atone for it.

Humakt had friends??? I always assumed that he was too dour and singleminded,  given that the only gods who associated with him were the ones who associate with ANYONE. I.e., Trickster, UlEria, and CA. After all, his own twin or younger brother felt justified in stealing Death (his pride and joy) from him, so clearly he wasn't ever exactly approachable.

> In fact, it is very plausible that Humakt was NOT always "an honorable
> dealer of death," but instead the horrid monsther 90% of the Gloranthans
> think he is. If Chalana Arroy had to go out of the way to teach him the
> error of his ways (Showing the needless suffering, etc.) while he shows
> her that Death is an important/integral part of Glorantha, they could
> come to an understanding.

Like Onslaught (aka Sir Death) and the White Healer do in Ralios, at the end? This would imply that his one blow, murder-suicide, was reinacting a rite that they had both forgotten. Very interesting...