Rock 'ard, me.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 06:17:27 GMT

johnjmedway bemoans the fact that:
> there just aren't enough cool-sounding igneous and metamorphic rocks
> ("Pumice Phalanx" or "Gneiss Phalanx" or "Schist Phalanx" anyone?).

I'd pay hard cash to see at least two of in print! (Or at least, Irish punts, which may or may not count as "hard" these days.) The pun value would keep Certain Digesters amused for seconds on end!

> [Granite, Marble, Jasper, Beryl, Agate, Onyx, Quartz, Slate, Jade,
> Basalt, Carnelian and Obsidian]

Those all work for me, hang the namespace continuity...

> I'm not sure about slate, it sounds a bit girly, and it is sedimentary.

Metamorphic, arktcherly. ;-) Girly I dunno about; "slate" to me connotes "dull" (or at a rather bigger stretch "give a hostile review to", or "pool table" (-; ).

> But then it's better than mica, schist or gneiss.

Care for rhyolite, diorite, or gabbro? Thought not...

Does anyone in These Islands (or with PBS/Discovery elsewhere?) recall a documentary on the erection of egyptian monoliths? (Secrets of Lost Empires, I think it was.) I think that diorite was what they reckoned they made masonary hammers out of, but I may have _entirely_ the wrong rock here. Anyone with a better memory/video recorder/the accompanying coffee-table book?

Cooler-sounding, but less Sensible would be malachite, feldspar, amber, or flint.

Hardly,
Alex.