Waterclocks and Alynxes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:20:31 +1200 (NZST)

Trotsky:
GW>>>If Yelm is directly overhead in Sog City only a shot time after it is

>>>in Boldholm, then the Dome (and the distance between the Gates of Dawn
>>>and Dusk) is quite large, but if Local Noon in Sog City is noticably later
>>>in the day (to someone from Someplace >Else) then that would indicate a
>>>smaller Dome.

>>To detect this would require something more accurate than waterclocks.

> Not necessarily; it depends on the size of the Dome. The accuracy of a
>really high quality water-clock* is about a quarter of an hour. If the Dome
>were, say 20,000 km across (i.e. about the twice the diameter of the Inner
>World) then local noon in Sog City would be around 2 hours later than in
>Boldhome, which is easily detectable even by a pretty naff water-clock.

And how is Sog City going to figure out when it is high noon in Boldhome? Carrier pigeons? One _could_ get around this problem by having a relay heliograph situated at opposite ends of the country (ie say from Northpoint to Molene). But because the distance is shorter, the accuracy of the waterclock needs to be even higher...

Jeff Erwin:

>I apologize if this subject has been battered around abit already. I'm
>wondering what happened to the Alynx hsunchen mentioned in KoS. Are they a
>tribe/clan/something else?

I think there's a few clans of Alynx hsunchen around Dragon Pass with one around Kero Fin. But they are dying out IMO.