Many topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:12:21 +1200 (NZST)

Trotsky:

Me>>And how is Sog City going to figure out when it is high noon in Boldhome?

> Ask someone. They don't need to know when it's high noon *at the time*,
>they only need to know how long after dawn high noon is in particular parts of
>the world.

Then they wouldn't _need_ to ask someone in Boldhome, would they? The phenonmenon would be readily apparent when they placed the gnomon on a sundial.

Nick Brooke:

>After all, where is "Humath" in print?

Broken Council Guidebook.

Allen Wallace:

Me>>And how is Sog City going to figure out when it is high noon in Boldhome?

>This is actually really easy, I about asked the question myself before it
>hit me. Telepathy spells to coordinate. Anyone who could bring this test
>into being could certainly find a powerful enough sorcerer, especially in
>Sog City.

A tiny snag is that the person is required to be seen by the caster. To generalize from here, I do not believe that magic spells can be used to get more precise results about the physical world that can be gained from the caster's cultural technology. To wit, given that waterclocks can tell the time to the nearest 15 minutes, a western sorcerer should not be able to measure time more accurately than that using his sorcery spells.

Richard Develyn

>1) There's this androgynous thing wondering around the place. Does that
>exist in The Glorantha.

Yes. Check out the fragment of the Halfbird in Wyrms Footprints.

>2) There's mention, I can't quite remember where, of a Valkyrie. I think
>it's the mother of one of the heroes. Is that in Glorantha now?

Probably.

>One more thing I remembered from the Dragon Pass game was that Argrath
>has these dragon's teeth which spring up into warriors when sown.

>Sounds rather familiar.

Very. It's not original to Jason as he ripped the whole thing from Cadmus, the founder of Thebes..

>Then of course there's the hydra ... very much a lesser one in the
>film.

Hydras are not in the original Jason myth having been swipped by the movie from the Labours of Hercules (the myths, not the TV programs).

>"Jason" was released in the early 60s, I think. I bet it was
>influential.

I hope not. The movie made a virtual travesty of Medea for starters. She did all sorts of things in the original myths (like bewitching Talos and the Dragon) and is transformed in the movie to some simpering servile doormat whose main heroic act is to be shot in the back. Not to mention the loonnngggg time it took for the skeletons to come up from the ground (so long one is left wondering why Jason et al. simply did not hightail it out of there when the King was carefully counting his skeletons for the edification of his soldiers) and the silliness of Jason jumping of a cliff and swimming to a ship in armor...

>Question is: Where's the Golden Fleece?

Somewhere in Talastar according to Jeff.