Re: mythological reality

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:58:00 -0800

Simon Phipp wrote

> If more people took Glorantha as a place where the Gods
> exist and the Myths were real, then we would have fewer pointless
> arguments about the nature of things.

The problem of course is that the Western viewpoint is also true. Nor is the West the only source of Materialists (alas, I can't find it right now, it's in one of Greg Stafford's works in progress).

I find it immensely cool that not only is the mythic viewpoint correct, but so is the Materialist. Orlanth killed the sun? Sure, but the Malkioni say that there was a big ice age and the sky was always cloudy -- how can you say they're wrong? (Granted, there may be difficult bits with a complete Materialist theory, just as there was with the Earthly theory that the Sun revolved around the Earth. But this doesn't mean that Materialism is wrong, just a specific theory. If it was clearly wrong -- i.e. anybody could squint at the sun and see Yelm's Fiery Chariot -- people wouldn't practice it.)

Besides, there's a whole continent full of people who would deny that the sun-killing myth was real (well, the Umathelans may or may not deny it).

I think the only safe thing to say is that magic exists and that there are powers greater than human.

As for playing chess, aren't the games in Irish sagas and the Welsh Mabinogion often translated as "chess" even though it's really a different game (fydchell or something I forget)? If you don't like the standard game in your Glorantha, assume it's a bad translation, and it's a different game played on a board where pieces have different abilities.

I don't see how chaos cults, which don't exactly advertise or invite guests, are going to have their high holy days known.