Re: Hunter Cults

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:16:02 -0500

Richard asks:

> Can an associate (or is it assistant?) shaman of Foundchild, be
> an initiate of Foundchild as well?

Effectively, yes. Unless you decide he shouldn't be.

There are two different concepts you're confusing. An "Assistant Shaman" is like a shaman's apprentice -- it's a status found in the character generation rules. An "Associate Shaman" would be like an "Associate Priest", I assume -- a shaman from some other cult or tradition who's friendly enough with the Foundchild cult hunters that they'd be happy to be blessed by him (and not by a "proper" Foundchild master hunter) at the start of a Hunt.

So the question really is, where your campaign is set, do the master hunters, priests or shamans who keep the cult going also participate in hunts themselves? (The RQ norm, which you can see in the GoG Foundchild cult, is that the Master Hunter is a damn' good hunter who almost certainly participates in the Great Hunt himself).

> My campaign requires that FoundChild initiates be allowed to
> pursue careers in other cults, whilst maintaining their initiate
> status in Foundchild. Which other cults would be appropriate?

Where are they from? (In Rathorela, Rathor and Orlanth and others; in Prax, Waha and Storm Bull and Eiritha and others; in Balazar, Votank and Brother Dog and others; etc.). The "Hunter Gods" shortform  in GoG is generic: it doesn't include the associates for every imagineable Hunter Cult (which are their cultural deities, as you'd expect).

::::
Nick
::::

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #503