Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #505

From: Brian McDaniel <mcdaniel_at_law.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 03:26:24 -0500

Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk> writes

>Assuming that the lozenge really is square in shape (and why should the
>Earth cultist get it wrong all these years?) then:
>
>Draw a circle. Put a square in it touching the circle at all four
>points. Now turn it so that the square is a diamond.
>
>You are now looking down on Glorantha from the hole in the top of the
>Sky Dome. To the right, the spot where the lozenge touches the Sky Dome
>is the Gate of Dawn. To the left the spot where they meet is Gate of
>Dusk. To the North is what I'll call the Cold Pole and to the South is
>the Hot Pole.

This is something like the physical interpretation I've always had of Godstime Glorantha. First take a cube of rock and stand it on corner. Call that "Earth". The topmost corner which is sticking straight up is the top of the spike Spike, with land sloping up all around it. The Spike itself descends all the way to the bottom corner. Now place it inside a hollow sphere. The paint the bottom half of the sphere's shell black and call it "Darkness". Paint the upper half yellow and call it "Sky". Now fill the inside of the sphere up halfway with water and call it, well, "Water". Whats left inside the sphere is of course "Air".

Of course this was before Umath wrenched the earth and the sky apart. If you look at this from outside the sphere, it looks like what he actually did was force the earth cube down so that it poked out of the bottom of the sphere (darkness). Of course everything outside that sphere is Chaos, and when Earth poked out the bottom, that was what let Chaos in. Chaos tunneled right up through the Spike. When Chaos got to the top, the spike exploded and sheared off the top portions of the cube (which was already partially underwater). Anyways, this also tells you where Magasta's whirlpool leads -- straight down through the center of the Earth, through darkness, and out into Chaos!

Of course, its all a little too neat and tidy for me, but maybe its what the Godlearners believed anyway.

Brian McDaniel