Sky 5.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:04:11 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe variously muses:
> >BTW, _is_ there a single word that means specifically "morning twilight"?

> Dawn?

I don't think "dawn" is generally used in this way. In practice it describes either the moment of sunrise, or the point at which the sky is conspicuously rather light, not the _period_ of twilight, and not really the beginning of twilight either, as it would be more strictly defined.

> >[the idea of crystal spheres]
> > is also the explanation that GRAY alludes to the Lunar Materialists
> >favouring, BTW. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Surely all Lunar Astronomers regardless of religious persuasion believe
> in the Crystal Spheres. It was a relevation of TakenEgi as taught by
> Korkeros.

Materialism isn't a religion, it's a philosophical/worldview "mode". I think that to be much of a celestionomer, at least one of an Observational or Cosmological bent, you pretty much have to be a Materialist, regardless of whether you worship Dayzatar, Buserian, Yelm, a Lunar cult, or no-one at all.

What you don't have to be is a _Lunar_ Materialist, which is the distinction I orginally intended.

Nick chimes in thusly:
> This, to me, is the definitive proof that the Sky Dome clearly does *not*
> work according to a Crystal Spheres model.

Tee-hee... I found this disgraceful piece of lese emperorship _shocking_, unprovoked, unfounded -- and hilarious and obviously true. ;-)

> And I write as one who Loves the Lunar Way, not a moon-hating barbarian).

You're too modest, Nick; you write as both, as suits your wicked purposes. <duck> And alarmingly convincingly as both, hence I vote we burn you as a suspect Illuminant.

> Nah: house spiders. Sandy's an insect freak, remember?

I have to stoutly defend Mr. Petersen against this scurrilous accusation: he's a much more democraticly an _arthropod_ freak, I think you'll find. Insects, archanids, myriapods, the whole wriggly-wiggly, creepy-crawly shebang.

> (Bet he's got one of those useful Troll insect-repellents).

Of course. Has anyone seen any 12' tall centipedes around Sandy's house? I rest my case.

Slainte,
Alex.