Kallyr, Argrath(s), Telmori

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:00:04 +0000

Pete Metcalfe raises a good point (as usual):
>> "Telmori promise revenge", and "quarrel with A of P" in 1629

> I do think they are related since the two clauses are seperated only by
> a comma rather than a full stop. However it is the order of the
> fragments that is most unusual IMO. The Telmori promising revenge
> after a quarrel with Argrath of Pavis would seem straightforward to
> most people. But we are effectively told that as a result of their
> promises of revenge, they got involved in an Argument with A. of P.
> which is an odd sequence of events to say the least.

And of course the other events in that line, though separated by full-stops, are:
"We kill Dinacoli. Queen Kallyr marries at last."

This may of course be unrelated, and just list events that happened that year. Otherwise, we seem to have three options: 1) Min. assumed that everyone knew on whom they promised revenge and why, and so left it out. As he leaves out Kallyr's husband's name. 2) The revenge was a direct result of the marriage (though we still don't know why, or on who)
3) Some later editor skipped a few items. While leaving in the bits that prove CHDP to be deliberately misleading.

Perhaps this is time for a quick summary of my ideas on Kallyr's marriage (for reasoning, see the web page). I think she was trying to marry the FHQ. Gender making this awkward, she used a proxy. Garrath was the proxy. This explains why he is listed as marrying the FHQ this year, and then marrying her again (in his own right!) a few years later. Of course, trusting Garrath not to make the most of the situation may have been a bad move :(

Now, if for some reason Garrath grabbed most of the resulting magical power for himself, and the Telmori knew about it, I can see them being upset. Quite how A of P comes into it I'm not sure: did Garrath make him the scapegoat? Somehow? Or was the quarrel because they expected AofP to join in on their side, and he didn't?

Mike Cule:

> I agree that Kallyr must have found the burden of the Prince's task
> enormous. We don't know if she could have done what Argrath did.
My guess would be not, though it depends on which of his deeds you're refering to. For most, both "couldn't" and "wouldn't", I think.

> She failed in the Lightbringer's Quest after all. (And a question: who
> was she trying to bring back?)

She failed according to Denseros the Unbiased, who obviously totally misunderstood the objective of an LBQ in any case. As to who she was trying to bring back: Sartar, of course. His spirit was trapped by the Lunars, remember. Not very well: they weren't that good at it then, but obviously it was guarded by them. Having got it (and some of her team) back, she could then light the Flame.
Does it make sense, BTW, that Garrath was part of the team, and that for him this was a practise run for his own LBQ? I wonder who did the betrayal? It doesn't have to be the Trickster :)

> In my game the players have finally found Kallyr Starbrow in Geo's
> Hidden Inn. They are about to present their copy of KING OF SARTAR
> (fallen through from the Fourth Age) to her. And probably fuck the
> timeline up enormously.

This sounds wonderful, and I wish I was playing. Show her the list of her companions, and watch her ask who all these people are! (And then go and find them). As for the Brown Dragon... :))

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #539