Umathela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 18:04:22 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

Wonders if there's a difference between Lascerdans and Slarges:

>I think they're separate (the lascerdans are extinct), but I'm not quite
>sure what the distinction is. After all, both are sentient reptilians. Are
>slarges more carnivorous and lascerdans vegetarians? Is it a desert/river
>distinction? (There's probably no hard info on this, but I'm looking for an
>easy distinction that won't make biologists cringe.)

Lascerdans use to hunt Manatees or Manatee merfolk so I doubt that they are vegetarian. Slarges, my gloranthan beastiary informs me, are also known as _Iguana_sapiens_ which implies that they are related to Iguanas. This should be taken with a grain of salt given that not so long ago Sandy denied that Jelmre (_Paralemuroides_secundus_) are related to Lemurs.

However I'm inclined to make the Lascerdans crocodiloids which would fit their riverine associations. However there is the practice of slash-and-burn which I find difficult to reconcile with a riverine reptilian species.