re: the walls of Pavis

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:43:12 +0100

Me:
>> Did the period of Troll dominance (when Pavis was sealed off from
>> outside world) affect only the mundane plane, or did it also affect
>> the spirit or god's planes? Frex could a discorporate shaman leave
>> or enter Pavis?

Peter Metcalfe:
> I think the Uz had special magics which screwed up anybody trying to
> enter or leave Pavis by Otherworldly means...

Maybe, but IMO one of the main reasons why nobody entered Pavis for some centuries was that there was nobody interested in doing it. After all, the only people able to do it were the nomads (and only the major tribes among them). But, from the POV of the nomads, it would be senseless to attempt to enter Pavis: why open a wasp's nest when *they* succeded to close it?

Mikko Rintasaari
> The walls of pavis have been transformed into something very close to
> truestone by Flintnail and his dwarfs.
> Unfortunately I don't have a reference handy, but there was something
> about "...thus treated the walls gained the Jolanti's ability to resist
> spells, spirits and gods"

It's somewhere in RoC. The problem is that the walls didn't resist for too long: the trolls broke them only a couple of decades latter. And they could be crossed through the gates.

> I don't think a discorporate shaman can enter the Rubble even now...
> he'll just have to walk through a gate like the rest of them.

Well, at least he can walk discorporate through a gate...

> City spirits can be a real pain for a shaman anyway.

Or a blessing. After all, shamans are always searching for good spirit hunting grounds.

Sergio