Malkioni influences in Kethaela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:53:47 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

[On the Settlement of Knight's Fort]

JB>>>And were settled in larger numbers in the early 1300s, after the

>>>failed Trader Prince expedition to Teshnos, if what was discussed a
>>>couple of weeks ago holds your approval.

Me>>How can one reach Teshnos without going through the Praxian Marches
>>from the Holy Country (during the Closing)?

>Not at all (except through the coastal marshes - good luck!). In fact, it
>didn't work out through the Praxian Marches either.

Read what you said. The Praxian Marches were colonized _after_ the Trader Princes failed to reach Teshnos in the 1300s. So what are you suggesting?

>>And the Trader Princes are the Malkioni Lords of Maniria. They are not
>>to be found in Heortland or God Forgot.

>In that case we have western influences spreading to Hendrikiland without
>westerners to influence them where they lived. Is that likely?

Other sources of Western Influence in Kethaela include:

  1. God Forgot (Heortland is shown as part of the Jrusteli Empire according to Uz Lore)
  2. The Malkioni of Nochet (who have been there since Vistikos's time and were numerous enough to riot in the streets in the second age)
  3. The Army of the West in Arkat's War ('The civilizing influence of the Country has turned the tribal and clan structure into a more unified whole reflecting the feudal nature of the Hendriki tribe who inherited the rule of the land from Arkat the conquerer hundreds of years ago' RQ Companion p24).

I doubt that the Malkionisation of Hendrikiland was imposed by the Pharaoh from above. IMO it was present for a long time but only at the top. The reason it does not appear in Sartar is that the farmers who were largely untouched by the Western influences made the migration.

>>>The Trader Princes of southern Heortland in the early 3rd Age.

>>That is not a migration! That is a bunch of knights seeking trade
>>between Kethaela and the rest.

>Settling in the lands they wanted to trade with - at least in Nochet.

Malkioni were in Nochet long before the Trader Princes (cf above).