Old Day Traditionalists

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:09:10 +1200 (NZST)

Jeff Richard:

>>>Yeah. So [the Old Day Traditionalists] hid only in Talastar?
>>>Nowhere else?

Me>>My guess is that they were to be found in Southern Peloria and
>>were disposessed of their old positions of power by the expanding
>>EWF. They would not to be found in Dragon Pass proper as the
>>adoption of draconic ways was popular and made with the consent
>>of the leaders. Hence I do not think they will be found in
>>Kethaela.

>At what point in time are you talking about Peter? I think your statement
>would be correct in the 7th or 8th centuries, but equally I think it would
>be wrong in the 9th and 10th centuries.

I'm speaking of the earlier centuries (7th or 8th) when the EWF started expanding. You are quite right to point out that ODT would have found fertile ground for their cause in Dragon Pass proper in the later centuries, and to rephrase I think their cells would be densest in South Peloria (mainly because the Last Chance revolt took place there circa 925 FWIW).

Joerg Baumgartner:

>The dissidents who objected against the widespread acceptance of
>draconic powers and draconic forms of their religion started as early as
>in the 580s, when the EWF still was restricted to Dragon Pass.

It said they 'eventually' found 'intercult unity in a secret organization called the Old Day Traditionalists.' We don't know when the 'eventually' was but my guess is that many of the conservatives fled to South Peloria and formed emirge communities. When the EWF expanded a few centuries later, the leaders in South Peloria would have fallen from power and thus made common cause with the Dragon Pass emirges.

Some conservatives could have emigrated to Kethaela but it's a whole new ballgame with the OOO and the God Learners struggling for supremacy. I don't think that people would care too much about the evils of dragon worship and the conservatives might even find themselves lynched as God Learner symps...