Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #582

From: Martin Dick <mdick_at_insect.sd.monash.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:35:21 +1000 (EST)

I hate to reignite the whole Resurrection debate, but after thinking about the role of Chalana Arroy in a Gloranthan society (or any equivalent god who provides such healing powers), I am a bit perplexed why there are not a whole lot more of them around.

My thoughts go as this:

  1. Chalana Arroy healers and their ilk, provide healing services which are clearly comparable to our modern medical practices (in some ways worse but in others ways surpassing our methods e.g Resurrection)
  2. That one's health is generally a major preoccupation with people regardless of other factors.
  3. In a modern Western country, we devote somewhere in the vicinity of 10% of GDP to medicine (a bit less in Australia and England, a bit more in the USA, no idea about elsewhere)
  4. Given the comparison between modern medicine and the healing magics of Chalana Arroy, why wouldn't a Sartarite clan spend a similar percentage of their energy (magical and economic) on Healers?
  5. Comparisons with medieval times aren't really valid IMO as the magic of Chalana Arroy works far more effectively than anything that was available in the real world up until probably the 1940s and the introduction of the wonder drugs.
  6. The presence of groups within society who actively foment disease such as Malia worshippers and broos make health an even more important issue than it is in the real world.
  7. Overall, my opinion tends towards that a Healer in a clan would more than adequately pay off for the clan in terms of productivity for the clan, let alone in emotional terms as another child gets carried off by the Gloranthan equivalent of diptheria. Australia has a ration of 1 to 800 (figure is rubbery but in the right ballpark) in terms of doctors to people and that doesn't cover the other types of health professionals in the community.

Now for possible counter arguments:

  1. That despite the potential demand for people to be Healers, the requisite mindset and discipline to be a successful Healer is very rare in the population.
  2. That the average clan has access to a large range of minor magics, via Ernalda and ancestor worship which cover many of the needs in this area and Chalana Arroy is only distinguished by the flashy and powerful magics that while are very impressive for adventurers (e.g Regrow Limb and Resurrection)
  3. That the average Chalana Arroy priestess is such a stuck up painful bitch, that most orlanthi would rather die than suck up to her :-)
  4. That the magics of Chalana Arroy are much harder to obtain/use than is portrayed in the literature to date.

I'm not really happy with any of these except possibly for 3).

Personally, a world where resurrection is difficult and costly and requires that the recipient is tightly woven into the community and of value to that community adds a real frisson to playing, on the other hand, having the intricately woven story of your character chopped short by the lucky blow of a trollkin doesn't appeal to me either.

Still in terms of Glorantha as she may be, in regards to Healers, I'm a bit perplexed and would welcome comments

Martin