Myths and History

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:46:36 +0100

Richard Develyn says :

>What if something nasty happened to Waha worshippers and something
>brilliant happened to the Basmoli, so that the Basmoli were
considerably
>more numerous and powerful than Waha followers. Could the Basmoli >then
HQ into the myth and change it in this way (i.e. pretty >fundamentally)?

>2) No. This allows a situation to exist where one powerful cult could
>have a myth describing the defeat of it's god at the hands of the god
of
>a much weaker cult. I'm not aware of any precedent of this in Glorantha

>- - someone please jump in here.

Orlanth slew Yelm, yet now the Pelorians are stomping on the Orlanthi large-style. I bet the Dara Happan phalanxes are having a great time marching all over Sartar.

>3) Question isn't valid. While the myth continues in its current form,
>Basmol worshippers can _never_ get the upper hand on Waha >worshippers.

I think this is an extreme interpretation, but still largely true. Having a "we kicked your but" myth gives you a big advantage. Not only did you win in the first place (presumably for a reson, ie you genuinely have an advantage), but you now also have a big psychological advantage too. I'm sure it doesn't guarantee victory.

Simon Hibbs