RE: Discussing Hero Wars

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:04:01 +0100

Robin puts things straigth:
> I don't think we need to be concerned about a discussion on
> this list turning into an exercise in design-by-committee.
> I'm pretty militant about avoiding such situations.
>
> If people forget that the demo game they played was a work
> in progress, it's easy enough to remind them.
I am not one of the small number of gloranthophiles that took and will take part on the conferences where the game is being playtested. Like most of those like myself that cannot take part on it, I would like to have some info on the game. Having playtesters informing us on their perceptions of the future game is harmless to Robin's work, while allowing us sharing his effort. We are supporting Robin in his development work, even if he cannot ackowledge it, and are expecting it will be a breackthrough masterpiece. One day we will buy the game. Please, don't keep us on the dark.

IMHO, the best way to deal with this issue would be for Issaries Inc./Chaosium to create a Hero Wars page on their site. They could post art; brainstorming ideas; the result of the Robin's questionnaires; the basic mechanics of the game; a beta or light version of HW. There could be some feedback taken from the people accessing that page. I've seen this being done by other companies (Ral Partha, TSR, AH, etc.). It's a great way to build momentum to a new product.

I don't know about other people, but if I keep informed about the development of HW, I can grasp and share on the difficulties, the hard choices, the moments of pure joy when obstacles are surmounted that are happening and will happen. Sharing all of this will make me feel that HW is really my game. The day I will have that book/box (?) in my hands, it will also be my fullfillment.

Sergio