Arfritis.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 23:57:55 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams receives the usual plethora of incompatible answers to her question about the Arfritha. I believe I have a map, via Greg and the Tales Crew, that locates it, but I can't find the darn thing right now. However, what I do have is a copy of a posting of many, many moons ago based on this info, which answered some of my own questions on the subject.

Capsule summary: appears to agree with Jeff Richard's information (much as this pains me), and to disagree with the Trollpak map. Oh well. (Perhaps Jeff's source was another copy of the same map, so don't bet on this being independent evidence, however. Sources, gentlemen, please...)

Hope this is of general interest too, so I'll repost the whole shebang.

Slainte,
Alex.

More on the Lands of the clans of the Colymar.

You may recall I was trying to locate the territories of the various clans of the Colmar tribe some time ago. Due to the kind offices of Greg, Nick, and Sam (the One True's, in each case, natch), I've been able to find 'em all, so here are all the answers that you lot had better not know, after failing to tell me last time. ;-)

Places:

Talar -- this seems to be a destroyed village, and/or a battlesite, and is about two miles up the Swan from Runegate, south of the river.

Arfritha Vale -- the Arfritha is _not_ a tributary of the Swan, but the southernmost one of the Creek, running through the Thunder Hills, from Fairjowl, and past Redbird.

Now the actual clans:

Narri lands: region north of and round Stael's Hills, up to the Creek. The reference in KoS to the Stream, regarding the "fish marriage", is seemingly mistaken, and should refer to the Creek.

Lonisi/Taraling: region east of Runegate, north of the Swan River, and south of Stael's Hills, and a smaller area south of the Swan.

Enhyl: lies round Ostor Colymar, from the Upland Marsh, to the back of the Upper Starfire ridge.

Varmandi: Tarkalor's keep, south to the Swan, east to the Rainbow Mounds.

Hiording lands: south of the upper Swan River round about Swan, between the Starfire Ridges and the Thunder Hills.

Orlmarth: Starfire Ridges, and the area back to the road south of the Upper ridge.

Arnoring: Old Tower, and the "corner" between the road and the Stream.

Ernaldor: North of the Stream, including Clearwine, and the lower Nymie Valley.

Anmangarn: area around Tarndisi's Grove, between the Starfire Ridges and the Thunder Hills.

Konthasos: The valley to the northeast of Clearwine.

Enjossi: From the Seven Falls (the rapids between Clearwine and Richberry(?) Vale), to the area round the north-eastern limb of the Stream.

The Thunder Hills were reoccuppied after the exterminations by the Tree Triarty: the Antorling, the Lysang, and the Namolding.

Alex.