Deezola notes

From: Ian Thomson <ithomson_at_swin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:22:18 +0000

This is the rewritten draught
Thanks once again to absolutely loads of fantastic feedback from the Digest. This wouldn't exist without it!
I'm sure there are minor changes that will be made over time and if these amount to big changes I'll post it again in a few weeks However this is it for now.
In this mail are the extra notes
Then the cult comes in two parts in two more mails
(try and avoid breaking the Digest again) :)

GOD LEARNER QUIBBLES: Why not leave out the information on the Seven Mothers branch of Deezola and put that in a separate write-up? Because as yet there is no such write-up, although there may one day be, and when that occurs I'll move the information across.

There are too many spells!
Yes there probably are, however, rather than choosing between them, I'm leaving them all in. Individual Storytellers can decide which ones are suitable for their own ideas of Deezola. Personally I'm going to use them all, but anyone else can delete at will, or even add their own.

Having responsibility for agricultural trade should not guarantee a cult powerbase. No there is no guarantee, however in this case the cult of Deezola have successfully managed to use this source of influence to its greatest potential

This piece focuses too much on the healing side, and misses the connection with the earth and nobility. Well, maybe. I see the earth connection as being the cult's foundation for its principals, rather than represented in its actual actions. And I see the cult with a fair amount of nobility amongst its ranks because of very real artistic and cultured values that few other cults actively support.

Why are the Deezolans given any weapons training at all? Because sometimes, as in the era of Carmanian oppression, there is a need to take up arms. I remember reading a decade ago in a book about one of the real world eastern sects: they supported absolute pacifism as much as possible, and yet if a power group seized control by force of arms, and were not open to negotiation, these particular mystics would organise and lead a peasant revolution without any qualms at all. And when it was over and peace and fairness was restored they would fade back into their lives of contemplation and pacifism, and
(presumably) martial arts training. (This could have been a Taoist
thing.)

What use does the cult have for Rune Lords? Well, stone me, I just darn well like Rune Lords. Or alternatively, I wanted to see some distinction between active service staff, out there with the Empire, and those who officiate at the temples within the Heartlands. This may be the wrong way to go about it, however I sense some parallels with Captain Kirk who became and Admiral for a while and was thus deskbound until he became demoted to a Captain again. And of course these would be general rules, with some Rune Lords working mostly at temples, and some Rune Priests leading the active service divisions.

What about the previously included lore that Deezola conquered Vivamort and wrested back some of the fighting powers that Vivamort stole from Arroin? Yes I loved this but it doesn't fit anymore. It mainly fits if Deezola is a `healed' version of Chalana Arroy, which she no longer is, not even vaguely.

A cult such as Deezola's with values of integrity and peace must surely have conflicts of interest within the Lunar Empire, due to the Empire's aggressive expansionism? Yes it does.

Your formatting for Rune Magic origins and distribution is somewhat unusual in this write-up. Yes it is

NOTES THAT WERE CUT: Mine
One aspect of Arachne Solara is that of the "Joiner, Interpreter, and Mediator". Some refer to this aspect as "Ginna Jar", which is how she was encountered during the original Lightbringers' Quest, and it is this that the Lunars twisted into "She Who Waits" (by enhancing its connection with the Arachne Solara "Raw Power of Nature" aspect.) Only the High Priests and Priestesses of the Seven Mothers have the slightest understanding of the nature of "She Who Waits", and only those of the Cult of Deezola have any significant comprehension at all. Deezola used SWW to form a mystic coven to recall the Red Goddess, using Arachne Solara's power as a binder and oath-maker to combine and enhance the powers of the original Seven Mothers. Irripi Ontor uncovered other pieces of the knowledge from the Arachne Solara sub-cult of Lhankor Mhy, and was excommunicated from the cult because of the use he and Deezola put this knowledge to. Both Deezola and Irripi Ontor knew that only Arachne Solara could remember the details of the Red Goddess from before the Dawn.

New Spell "Moonpower" - (3POW single use) Works only when the Red Moon can be seen, or anywhere within the Glowline. It activates when the caster's POW or HP reach 0. On the dark or dying moon it restores 1POW and 3HP, Crescent Moon - 1POW and 5HP, Half Moon 2POW and 7HP, Full Moon - 3POW and 9HP. This spell was removed when a clearer origin for Earthpower was recognised, and this spell was put back on the list. However I suggest Moonpower as a new spell for Jalakeel.

Others
Jar-Eel has strong ties with the Deezolans (and possibly other cults too). Whilst this has no disagreement with my write up it doesn't seem relevant so isn't included.