Orlanthi Coming Of Age

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 22:39:37 GMT

Bruce Hollebone is doing something new for his group.

> I'm starting a new campaign for a very experienced group who have never played in
> Glorantha before. I've been a Gloranthaphile for years and would like to turn this
> unsuspecting group to the Mythic side of gaming. Together, we could rule the
> Lozenge! *cough* Sorry.
>
> My plan is to start them in at about 1600 as young initiates somewhere in Sartar (I
> haven't picked a tribe yet) then work through the timeline into the Hero Wars. I've
> settled on using Pendragon Pass rules for simplicity---the group has just finished a
> year-long diceless experiment. Also I'd like to play a family-centric rather than
> individual pc-centric kind of game to give us enough longevity to explore the whole
> time period.

I seem to recall that the never published SARTAR PAK had this as its basis. It used RQ but perhaps PENDRAGON PASS would be better. The Greydog clan of the Lismelder tribe was the focus for the playtest material I saw. (Perhaps the nice people at the Megacorp might be willing to let you have a look at some.)

As I recall it they started just before the Starbrow rebellion but I think if you're willing to do the work it might be more satisfactory to start before the conquest of Sartar.

I've made this suggestion before and I'll make it again. For Pendragon Pass and Hero Wars I think the time tick should be the season: you have one adventure each season.

> So, what I'd like to do is start the game with a coming of age ceremony for the new
> characters. The King of Sartar mentions that children become adults at about 12 in
> some kind of ritual. I'm going to assume that this is an initiation into Orlanth/Ernalda
> which happens during the Sacred Time. My plan is to run them through a mini hero
> quest showing a few sides to Orlanth and Ernalda. My question is this: which myths
> are at the core of Orlanthi mythology? Which ones would be considered the most
> important for young people to experience?
>
> My thought is: Wooing Ernalda/Three Tests of Yelm/Slaying the Evil Emperor.
> >From my reading of the myths this is a defining moment for Orlanth---his coming of
> age. Before this he is just the younger brother, after he is king of the gods. It's a major
> cycle, I know, but I don't think it would be too dangerous for kids to run through as a
> re-enactment. It also has the benefit of showing new players a core myth of the
> Sartarite culture. In the next session (and the next week of Sacred Time) we could run
> through a Lightbringer pageant to renew the world for the next year.

The initiation in SARTAR PAK started out with the kids being left outside the clan holdings at night and encountering some randomly drawn enemy which they had to outwit. They then went underground to try to find Light (symbolised by some torches) which they could only get if they worked together. The clan Trickster was there as a guide to throw in cryptic hints. I don't think they should try to do the slaying of the Emperor: it's just too hard for initiation.

Try having the group trapped in some real/symbolic way and have to break free by co-operating. See Orlanth's initiation in KoS.

> What would be appropriate benefits to new Initiates for completing such a
quest?
> A minor item (like a focus tattoo) or a chance to sacrifice for one-use magic?
> An enhanced skill (in case someone criticals and wins the dance competition say)?
> A new fiancee? Do Orlanthi marry that early, or would this just be a commitment to
> "future consideration"?.

Bear in mind that the Ernalda-path female initiates (i.e. all who don't choose Vinga or one of the other Lightbringers as their primary god) will be undergoing initiation at the same time. Perhaps the two new initiates who embody Orlanth and Ernalda best in their respective trials might be 'King and Queen' at the feast afterwards. Perhaps this might be thought a good omen for a later marriage. (And perhaps the two of them will hate each other... Who says the myths have to work every time?)

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.