RE: Much Magic?

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:35:31 +0100

>Am I the only Glorantha fan who feels there is too much magic lying around
>in the game. For a start, the character generation formulae generate
>ridiculously powerful characters (a retired soldier with 10 points of
>unspent Divine Magic?, barmaids in their twenties with 120% weapons skills)

How on earth do you come up with those characters? The retired soldier (40 years old?) would have gained 8 points of POW, on top of an average POW of 10, so if he buys 10 points of divine magic, then he has a POW of 8. Who'd do that? As for barmaids, well, there isn't an occupation for it, so you'd have to adapt something like Crafter, and they get 2 or 3 percent per year in weapon skills, on top of a base of 30, that would give them a best weapon skill of maybe 60% if they had a positive modifier. The base of 30 would also be unlikely, as a barmaid is more likely to learn Rolling Pin than Broadsword.

Also, the character generation system is for generating PCs, who are supposed to be above-average people.

http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
You never know what is enough
unless you know what is more than enough.