Re: Red Hair and Wind Children.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 03:26:11 +0100 (BST)

Simon Bray gets a Prurient Tick (sorry, too much Pendragon this week...):
> I definately believe that Suzanne Corteau may be one of the sources for
> red hairs Gloranthan imortance.

As source material, of course, rather than author. ;-) In fact it seems that as of when she was signing my copy of Blood and Lust, Greg hadn't told her about his obsession with redheads manifesting as Vinga. ;-)

[I have a guilty feeling this yet another recycled anecdote of mine, please bear with me while I try to get some new material...]

(BTW, I have no idea if the above theory is true or not, as it would seem to require a knowledge beyond that of normal polite enquiry...)

> Their are historical references to red hair. Boudicca was supposed to have
> had red hair, as did her daughters. The population of the U.K was once made
> up of 33% red heads before the Roman invasion.

Are you certain about this? Surely by the stereotype of Folk Genetics, it's the Irish that are the main redhead culprits, rather than the Britons? (Of course there were Norse reds, too.) I admit in advance that Folk Genetics is about as reliable as Folk Quantum Mechanics would be...

> The best resource that has been published about wind children must be the
> scenario book from the Vikings box set.

Vikings is a Top Supplement in general, btw; lots of it can be stolen for Gloranthan use, much less how good it is in general. (And maybe The Avalon Hill Goit Company might have some copies left, if you rush...)

> The article doesn't feel Viking, talking about 'Elf Woods' and 'Storm Gods'.

Whilst my Norse Mythology may only be about 06%, I'm pretty sure they had both of those...

> What I wanted to know about are the Storm Walkers. Has anybody tried to
> write them up?

My thinking has been that they're "just" upscale Orlanth priests, cum entry-level HQers... (Maybe especially of Sigolf's cult.)

Slainte,
Alex.