Perfecti and Illuminates

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 02:46:11 +0200

Peter Metcalfe answers Simon Hibbs:

> >The Malkioni seem to have their own form of mysticism - Arkati
> >Enlightenment. Whatever that is.
>
> I would restrict Arkatism to Ralios rather than have Arkati in
> Fronela and Umathela. IMO the traditions of the Perfecti and
> the Cult of Silence are the local mystical cults.

The Cult of Silence would obviously be mystical, yes, but the Perfecti as a whole? I doubt it. They strike me as being, instead, quintessentially dogmatic in their beliefs. Not that mysticism and dogma are *absolutely* incompatible, provided the dogma itself transcends ordinary logic (which has the side-effect of making it unacceptable to the logical mind).

Not to say that the Perfecti don't see themselves as being a mystical szct. It is indeed part of their dogma. But their rather pointed rejection of the Hrestoli religion and Loskalmi state do not demonstrate a condition of transcendental thinking which could be equated with illumination. Those among the Perfecti who *have*, indeed, acheived a state of higher consciosness just keep quiet.

> The extent
> of Arkati influence in Seshnela/Tanisor is an interesting
> question - IMO such influence is minor.

perhaps not on the Castle Coast, though ...

but, yes, I agree : interesting ...

onward to a little nitpicking of Peter's otherwise quite neat little expose ...

> The Orlanthi are Theists and have no mystical cults.

There are cults of Glorantha, and of Arachne Solara, which would basically be mystical, although these would not of course be RuneQuest cults as we know them.

> The Malkioni are Materialists pure and simple.

So? Materialism is one of the things which can be transcended in illuminated thinking ...

> *Purely as a matter of interest, I see that the CoT sequence:
> Naturalism/Theism/Humanism/Mysticism differs from the sequence
> in the new game (to wit: Materialism/Shamanism/Theism/Mysticism.

Yes, but Greg will presumably inform us at a later date that the HW POV is generally false too .. Perhaps HW Lunars/Argrathi/etc vs. CoT GodLearners ? ;-)