Illumination

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:54:51 +0200

Ian Thomson:

> An off the cuff definition I can give is
> that illuminated beings comprehend the totality of existence, and that
> they are aware of the balance between all forces (most notably Chaos
> and Law). They claim that there is no absolute definition of anything,
> whether it be good and evil, or right and wrong. It seems the state
> they claim is one of distance from the mundane laws, perceptions and
> common restrictions that other mortals hold. Practically it seems to
> be the case that all Illuminati avoid extreme actions of any kind, and
> certainly appear in some cases to have much clearer and broader
> awareness than the usual Gloranthan.

> SNIP
Far too complicated.

There is an ordinary state of illumination, attainable by all, in the contemplation of Great Art. It is a state of blissful awareness, of self and/or of one's place in the world. One listens to Bach, but hears the Silence within the music and behind the world. One looks at a painting by Van Gogh, and sees the interplay of colour, light, and dark, and of blank canvas. Dancers weave theur Pattern inside the World of Stillness and Eternity.

Gloranthan illuminates perceive Magic in exactly the same way. Their magical powers spring from the fact that they are the artists of Magic.