Re: Infertile Humakti

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:01:54 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams:
> Personally I still think people who are very tied to the Death rune
> should be less tied to Life/Fertility, just because Glorantha is a
> very magical place. And this should go for other oppposing runes as
> well, though other examples are a bit hard to think of.

Mastakos worshippers become really easy to push over when they've had some of Old Munts' Finest, and newly-initiated Uroxi will never be able to play the harp again? ;-)

I think Glorantha does not not unfailingly work in manner than makes these Runes "opposed", in an exclusive sense. I know several cultures _do_ oppose them in this way, but some don't, and Illumination allows one to perceive the Truth that they aren't irreconcilable.

Of course, what certainly does happen is that some peoples will _voluntarily_ cut themselves off from one power, to enhance/help concentrate on its opposite. And I think that's indeed the case with Humakti, especially if they take geasa to that effect.

> Orlanthi clans being what they are, most of that clan are related

Not very related, though.

BTW, question to the floor: are Orlanthi clans still invariably strictly exagamous? I'm sure this was discussed some time ago, but I forget our conclusions, except a vague impression that casual "incest" with a fellow clan member was probably not regarded as heinous, unless there was an actual close blood (or social) relationship.

Slainte,
Alex.