RQ: Ancient Greece?

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:57:52 -0500

I'm exploring the possibility of setting up a RuneQuest campaign in Ancient Greece (the Heroic Age, not the Classical Era), and I was scouting around for anybody who had done any work on cults and magic, or anything else that might be of interest. I'm pretty good at Greek mythology (well, I have a lot of books...), and I also have the "Mythic Greece" supplement for ICE/Hero System; the latter has some great thumbnail sketches of Greek cities and the rest of the world that would come in very handy.

Basically, I'm looking at a campaign that can encompass both mortal heroes and the children of gods. One possibility is that the children of gods (some of the demigods as well as the greater heroes) receive gifts and geases, somewhat like Yelmalio and Humakt worshippers, but they get them as their birthright, not from joining a cult. Achilles and Heracles are examples of this type of character. Many characters seem to have a distinctive power or two that would come as a result of some divine blood in their heritage. My main concern is balancing the characters who do take these "divine gifts" with the characters who don't have them; I don't want the former to overshadow the latter.

There don't appear to be too many PC magician types in Greek mythology; most of the ones I'm familiar with are like Circe and Medea, definitely NPCs, whose origins also include divine blood. I suppose that priests and priestesses of Hermes and Hecate might have some spell abilities. "Mythic Greece" has some guidelines about PC sorcerors, who have a touch of divine blood. There also seem to be a number of priests who don't have any special spell abilities; however, many of them also have prowess as warriors. Mostly their priestly duties seem to be making sure that the appropriate rites are performed properly.

I don't think magical healing is as widely available, either. This could be bad as combat in RQ tends to include lots of major wounds. Should I just include more ways to heal than are appropriate to this genre, or should I adjust combat somehow to tone down the possibility of losing limbs in battle?

Anyway, I'd be very happy to hear whatever anybody has to contribute. Thanks in advance!

Guy

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #122