Fronelan obscurae

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:31:30 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>As a pet theory, could "Janubian" be _distantly_ related to Veldang
>(invasion of Blue People) and more closely to the Sweet Sea languages
>not mentioned in Genertela Book?

The Blue People of the Sweet Sea are not Veldang. The Veldang are associated with fluidity and growth rather than water. Furthermore being of the same colour does not necessarily mean their languages are of the same family (cf Kralori, Teshnans, Pentans and Praxians or Doraddi, Fonritan, Masloi and Teleosans or Malkioni, Orlanthi, Pelorians, Pentans and Praxians etc).

And there is the possibility that the Blue Men may be related to the Waertagi (and moved upriver from Sog City) and so they would speak a Western Tongue.

Me>>>The other Orlanthi come from the south over the High
>>>Llama's Pass into Jonatela and Oranor.

>When?

Late Second Age, I suppose. They weren't present in Syanthir's Anabasis (c. 720 ST) nor are they apparent in Jonat's Saga (c. 1020 ST). The earliest possible hint would have been the migration of the Uroxi (c. 1100 ST) who could have been on the move after having their arses kicked.

>There seems to have been a migration of herder peoples in Peloria along
>the Rockwood Mountains. The Pelandan records show several such people
>coming in generally from the south (which they never had an overview
>of). There also seem to have been local beast totem peoples accepting
>the Theyalan missionaries and switching to divine worship.

Firstly the only migrations are of the bull people. The earliest are the Tawari who are known to have come from what is now the Loskalmi province of Tavars. The next migration is of the Uroxi and they enter Vangstal from Charg and not the South (which would be through Brolia) indicating a fronelan origin.

Secondly at this late stage, the Orlanthi would not be interested in sending missionaries. They would be more keen on grabbing land. So instead of Orlanthi missonaries converting the heathen to heathenisim, one has surly tribesmen muscling in on the best farming and mixing in with the more passive inhabitants and forcing the more agressive heathens to leave. They might have even been encouraged to do so by local Malkioni Lords.