Cross dressing Yelmies

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:18:40 +0100

More speculation, this time at the opposite extreme...

[Basically, I find it hard to believe that literal cross-dressing is common in Dara Happa]

Characteristics of Yelm are embodied in his regalia, which includes his clothing. Perhaps the idiom of Dara Happa is to say someone `puts on the clothing of X' when we would say `they behave like [the person or people] X'. Male `cross dressing' would then mean behaving like women (in some way). For example, being affectionate to your children, laughing in a public place, gossiping. Since the Dara Happan male ideal is impossible to attain (being Yelm), all Dara Happan males are riddled with shame for their feminine `sins', and moral reformers can harp on about `stamping out cross-dressing', although only a few men actually wear dresses.

On this reading, Dara Happans regard Orlanthi males as perverts!