ecyclopeadia Gloratha

From: stephan milam <stephan_at_milam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 20:33:51 +0100

In message <199808221526.PAA22109_at_chaosium.com>, Dave Black <owner- glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com> writes
>I'm hoping that you can spare a minute to fill out the following
>questionnaire which I hope to use in order to assess the viability of an
>idea I've had. This idea is to collect together an 'encyclopedia' of all
>things Gloranthan. I plan to create this as a database (first in ClarisWorks
>and then Microsoft Works with others to follow if demand warrants). Even
>though the primary focus is on creating the database and distributing it to
>subscribers the idea will also be able to support 'hard copy' distribution.
>I would like to phase the actual database construction in over a period of 9
>months or so as follows:

why Claris or microsoft works, to be viable it would need to be fully relational, with bells and whistles.

>- - "Basic Pack" Intro to Glorantha/Glorantha/Gods of Glorantha/Elder
>Secrets/Bestiary
>- - Player's Book: Genertela/Genertela Book/The Missing lands
>- - Prax & the Zola Fel Valley
>- - Enclosure 1/Enclosure 2
>- - King of Sartar/Apple Lane
>- - Glorious Re-ascent of Yelm/Fortunate Succession/Entokosiad/Dorastar
>- - Dieux Nomades/Dragon Pass/Tarsh Wars
>- - Questlines/Wyrm's Footprints/RQCon Compendium
>- Tales of the Reaching Moon/Codex/Trade Talk/Gloranthan Weekly

i think the owners of this material may want words with you if you do not have their full permissions first...........

snip

why only 100 words............why not up to 1000 words or 10,000 words?

in theory a nice idea..............

if issaries sanctioned/commissioned it, then maybe. but be warned you could tread on a lot of toes without permissions, if you charge people for it, I think your user base would be very small IMO.

Of course if Issaries did commission one I am a skilled Access/SQL programmer, and reasonable at web site design............

You have the standard problem that a database is hard toi skim through and not good to read, and a hard copy is difficult to update properly, you end up with multiple booklets again. I think the best way of offering it would be as HTML and Hyperlinked for easy navigation. - --
stephan milam