Souls? What Souls? Our Souls?

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:22:42 +0100

Jonathon assumes I'm talking bollocks about souls:

> This is part of the Christian tradition (or "repressive reactionary
>bollocks", as is known among us unbiased observers :-). Why has it
>become Gloranthan orthodoxy (on the Digest, anyway).

Because most Gloranthans believe this and the game systems we use assume it too.

>Who says everyone has an eternal part?

I refer my honourable friend to the answer previously given.

>Who says souls are recycled?

Just about everyone except the Malkioni (and not all of those disagree).

> In Glorantha, there are people with these beliefs, but there are
>people with widely variant beliefs, as well. And we know that they are
>all correct, because they can all prove it.

Yes. But I've tended to assume that Souls exist because the Gloranthans have skills and spells to manipulate souls, detect them and 'prove' their objective existence.

> Some people may be confused by the the concept of a spirit, which
>(in some cases) can be an intangible remnant of a person left behind
>after their death; but a "spirit" is not necessarily the same thing as
>a Christian "soul". Spirits can also be forces of nature, nameless
>feelings of dread associated with a place, the "spirit of learning"
>that even the most unspiritual person can feel over the local temple of
>Lhankor Mhy, etc. Even the Spirit of the Age. The metaphorical value of
>these concepts in the RW just has slightly more weight in Glorantha.

Ummm. I know I'm confused because Greg says that the west is the mind of Glorantha, the Theistic lands are its soul and the East its spirit. But I'm not sure what the distinction is.

> There is a RW belief system that holds everyone has 7 bodies.

And you'll find it reflected in the GRoY.

>It's
>just as sensible as all this stuff about "souls". If they all met, they
>could have a party!

And I am not an Archbishop or a Christian although I portray one in a medieval society.