Re : Godtongue

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:45:02 +0100

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:29:38 +0100
> From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
> Subject: Re : Godtongue

> >hero
> >questers have (AFAIK) no problems talking to the entities they meet.
> >Yet neither initiates nor (apparently) hero questers need learn new
> >languages.
>
> I don't know of any evidence that languages work any differently (in
> this context) during heroquests than they do normally.

I think this would give hero questing a rather clunky feel. OK, on the LBQ you have Issaries with you as translator. But many other 'quests are solos. Must the 'quester learn weird languages to do them? An Orlanthi wanting to free Heler would have to know Draconic (to get a klanth) and Sea-speach (to talk to Heler).

Also, heroic diction through a translator is laughable.

[In a previous 'Digest Julian Lord said Godtongue is the language the gods use between themselves]
The confusion I have here is that hero questers become their gods. So a group of hero questers speaking to each other are talking in Godtongue, or have not entirely become their gods, or Godtongue does not exist. Which is it?