Thunderousness

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 00:05:07 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams replying to me replying to her, on Kallyr and the High Council:
> > > No, she must have been at least as Thunderous as a full Thunderous
> > > Priest.

> > And no way does Vinga give that.

> > That's kinda begging the question.

> Really? You think there's ANY deity around who gives thunder powers
> equal to those of Orlanth Thunderous?

Somewhat different point. I think that, say, Shargash can give thunder powers of similar magnitude to a Sufficiently Advanced worshipper than O.T. gives to a typical priest, yes.

He may or may not give a similar "bang per buck", but I don't think that's particularly relevant.

> I'm sure Vinga has some Thunderous powers, but not as
> good as her dad.

Actually I suspect the Vinga cult per se doesn't give any, as such. (Unless you count "Bless Thunderstone" et al as more Thunder than Warrior.)

> > Is no one buying my ploy of Vingans having a Thunder Brothers (Thunder
> Sisters?) type subcult?
> I'm considering it, but I'd like to know more about the Orlanth version
> of the Thunder Brothers first.

Moi aussi.

My current thinking is that: it's possible for women to access Thunderous powers; it's difficult, for mythic and social reasons; it's probably not via Vinga, which isn't to say that it isn't at least largely Vingans who might do this.

So what does that leave? I'm not sure, either they have to undergo some elaborate test to join Orlanth Thunderous directly, or worship some related god/hero/initiatory aspect who manifests thunder powers of some sort.