Re: PloP Hunting in Hero Wars

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:22:19 +0100 (BST)

Julian Lord explaineth:
> That is, a minimax rules-lawyer type player could in theory
> waste everyone's time PloP hunting, that is spending only
> one SP every single time he had a bump-up advantage. In theory.

Oh, right. That's true, and it's also the "optimal" betting strategy in this case. Hrm.

> But, unless his GM is a computer program with a design fault
> or a gibbering idiot, all of his lower Mastery level GMCs will, instead,
> be putting their entire reserve of SPs against the chap every single
> time, scuppering any hopes for more PloPs than his comrades.

Actually, there's a problem with this. Say I'm 18/6 W (are those plausible numbers?), and you're 6/14. You bet 183 AP against me. I reduce this by 182(!) taking a -37 (or -36, whatever) penalty on my roll. I almost certainly fail, get bumped up to a success, lose the contest anyway, but only transfer one point. So I can still nickle-and-dime you to death, if I'm _determined_ to be silly about it.

This is obviously a contrived case, and if anyone were _that_ daft in a game, they'd deserve a good skelp round the ear, if not yet higher levels of unpremeditated violence. But the game _system_ doesn't obviously penalise things of that ilk, AFAIK.

> Luckily, the pace of a Hero Wars adventure is far more
> in the hands of the GM than it will be in
> those of the putative PloP-hunters.

Right.

> Erm, didn't someone mention something about PloP nightmares
> having vanished from the latest version of Hero Wars?

That was me. I don't know that any of the playtest versions incorporate this change, but I Hear That it's for real.

Slainte,
Alex.