Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #232

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:17:08 -3100 (PDT)

David:
> Brian, I can now reveal that your worst suspicions are true. In the
> Glorious new era of Hero Wars, anyone who talks about RuneQuest on the
> Glorantha Digest will be severely beaten with sticks by Chaosium shock
> troops. Either that or we get Nick, MOB, Jeff, and six cartons of beer
> round to your house at 2 in the morning. I'd advise the beating with
> sticks, if you get the choice.

Sarcasm noted...

As I said, the effect has been small...but as Shannon points out a few posts down from yours, even after HW has moved to it's own digest, non-HQ rules discussions will be "frowned upon" but HW will theoretically be OK (at least I assume this based on the post). Now, when the digests first split, it's my understanding that the original charter of the Glorantha digest was to discuss Gloratha regardless of rules-system, but now what you have is something like:

  1. Pure "Glorantha" posts - OK
  2. Glorantha posts with a reasonable amount of HW - OK
  3. Glorantha posts with a reasonable amount of RQ - frowned upon
  4. Pure HW posts - frowned upon
  5. Pure RQ posts - penalty flag

Ok, not too big of a difference, but there nonetheless. It's a minor conflict of interest, analogous to Wizards of the Coast running the Duelist's Convocation...

As I said before though, it's entirely reasonable for Chaosium to expect this, since they're running the digest...

> >I disagree here. "Dull" is choosing "craft mud pies" and never
> >using it in 100s of gaming sessions until a GM takes pity on you and
> >throws you a bone by coming up with with some contrived situation where this
> >is useful...
>
> Being always sort of competent and always sort of incompetent are
> equally dull. There is nothing wrong with having strong, hardy, agile, and
> cunning as character traits - but they don't add to a game like 'incite
> vengeance', 'knows secrets from chiefs past', or 'summon dead grandfather'
> do.

Ah, but in my games, those latter 2 "skills" would just be things that the character "plays through"...why waste a skill on knowing the chief's secrets when you can just find them out in-game without using a skill at all?

Another question this brings up: "knows secrets from chief's past" seems to me to be something I would never allow, as this skill "projects" a disadvantage onto another person. If this is allowed, why not "knows how to kill Crimson Bat with 3 rapid blinks"?

> Did you get 440 million experience points too?

No, thank goodness...

> A seemingly intelligent friend once allowed a PC
> to telekinesis (Otilukes Telekinetic sphere I think) a huge sphere of gold
> out of a 'dungeon', and then gave him the ep for it, raising him to 83rd
> level. I even gave him a foolproof plan to knock the guy off (good old Trap
> The Soul, gets 'em every time), and he went all wimpy on me and let the guy
> eventually escape.

Not bad...when I was a mere 12th/12th Fighter/Mage in a campaign where there was a 125th Ranger running loose, I got him by using a Mirror of Opposition...The GM let me run the resulting "copy", and I killed him with his own character. One sign of being a poor player is when someone can pick up your own character sheet, glance at it, then kill you with a copy of your own character that you've been playing for 10 years :)...

> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:38:17 -0700
> From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_chaosium.com>
> Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #228
>
> >The question is, what happens to the Glorantha Digest at that point?
>
> Nothing much.
>
> >Will Chaosium still frown on RQ content at that point?
>
> Yes. And GURPs content. And AD&D content. And RoleMaster content.

What about the inevitable post-HW-release "here's how I've adapted HW publication/rule xyz to fit into my RQ campaign..." posts?

> Repetitively: the game is still evolving and discussion of it here is
> largely a wasted effort.

Well, to be honest, I didn't expect the Bob the Humakt Hero post to lead to this amount of interaction over HW...as I said much earilier, I don't really want to comment on the game until it's released; I just kept asking questions and pointing out further potential flaws based on the "don't worry, it works like this" posts. Have no fear, I'll be extricating myself from this thread soon enough...