Re: Hearth Spirits

From: Delecti_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 18:59:08 EDT

Pete Nash writes:

<< Sorry if I trod on anybodies view of Glorantha. I always thought it was a world of magic with bronze age society throw in. Not a bronze age world with a touch of magic thrown in. ;-) >>

Well I happen to agree with you in that in a magic-rich world (i.e. Glorantha), you are more likely going to use what you have alot of.

The hearth spirits could be cult/clan spirits that have enough control over the fire rune to keep the hearth running "efficently", not wasting valuable fuel. The fuel must still be brought in by people.

Smiths (good ones) would have a spirit with a strong connection to the fire rune (a specialized salamander), so it can stoke up the fire when needed.

IMG, and in several I have played in, spirits all play an important role in most peoples lives. As Pete said, life without magic would be difficult. Maybe one of those badside families was well to do before they angered their hearth spirit?

Delecti, Lord of the Upland Marsh
aka
Scott Knowles RL, USA Coordinator
for The Chaos Society
ICQ

http://members.aol.com/delecti/UpMarsh.html              Delecti_at_aol.com
http://members.aol.com/Glorantha/chaossoc.html        ChaosSociety_at_iname.com

"I don't understand, where does all this come from? Where do you get funding
for something like this?"
"You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet
seat do you?"
- -- Julian Levinson (Judd Hirsch) responding to the President Whitmore's (Bill Pullman) question, Independence Day