Carams vs Waleesha

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:54:01 -0500 (CDT)

In a game I once ran I postulated that the most reliable way to distinguish a Caram from a Waleesha was that a Waleesha would, when outside her home, always carry a visable weapon, while a Caram never would. It might just be symbolic weapon, like a knife, but it would always be there. While an orthodox caram would not carry a weapon, those of who feel less confident may. But it would always be hidden in her clothes.

The reason is that a caram is to be defended by her male relatives. A aaleesha has renounced the protection (and control) that a caram has from her male guardians. Hence she is armed to indicate that her defense is her own.

Kevin