Mail Musings

From: Adam Betteridge <abetteridge_at_gio.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:56:53 +1000

Hi all.

Well I seem to have opened a can of worms over the mail. Jose thanks for the reminder that Ralios is more than just Safelster, as that is the area we tend to play in, I focus more upon it. I am curious about your reference to the Italian Quatrocentto, is it the City states of northern Italy?

The original idea I had was a group of players after having proven their ability to a patron having to take a journey from one side of Safelster to the other. As these are players new to the West I thought that it would be a good way to show them some of the local colour. From fights on the Lake with pirates to Orthodox Seshnelan priests preaching fire & brimstone and of course the Grand Tourney.

The question of caste hasn't really come up as I see the majority of Safelstrans being less concerned about class as you move east. A member of the knightly caste from Drom whilst he would be concerned about his knightly duties etc, I see being less concerned about rubbing elbows with the merchants of the farmer caste. A Knight of Seshnela on the other hand would be deeply insulted by the same situation. In Safelster I believe that there is more interaction between the castes due to the various secret societies, who knows the peasant you just backhanded may be the Grand Masked Loon of the Loyal Loonish Order. The interaction between castes would follow strict lines of acceptability but this would tend to open lines of communication between the castes.

How inhumans interact with humans I am not sure most people would respond with fear or anger, as I don't really see much in the way of friendly relations between most of the inhuman races & the average Safelstran. I realise that the Troll caravans cut through the countryside but I think most people would be afraid of them. Let's face it the average troll towers over just about every body, smells, has tusks & beady eyes, I wouldn't invite them in for dinner because as we all know you could end up being the main course. (To all the troll subscribers nothing personal). As for elves most of them would just as soon shoot at you as look at you. Nobody knows what the Newts are upto, but it will probably be bad. Dwarves every on knows their mad. Not to mention Broo, Ogres etc. It just aint safe meeting up with any of the Kryalki demons.

Just a few thoughts. Cheers Adam.