Re: East Isles Navigation

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:40:17 +0100

Dan McCluskey: <daniem_at_microsoft.com>

> I believe that the Polynesians also made maps by tying sticks together in
> such a way that the intersections marked the location of islands... (could
> be wrong or misinformed, but it's kinda a neat Idea anyhoo)

Well, it went into my idea file, true or not.

Mark Mohrfield:

> << So, what does
> a hypothetical Haragalan compass point towards? >>
>
> The gamer in me argues for Magasta's Pool in order to keep things from getting
> to confusing, but the Gloranthophile in me argues for something more exotic in
> order to emphasis the differences from earth. Given the solar nature of the
> sunscopes, perhaps they have two sorts of compasses, one that points towards
> the gates of dawn and one that points towards the gates of dusk.

The East Islanders have rather little contact with Magasta and the pool: their travels go to other islands, Kralorela and Teleos. Also, there is a local "field of sea control" around the East Isles. There are no tides for example. (This is a recently discovered fact).

So, Magasta's Pool isn't my first choice. The Gates of Dawn is a good choice, but I think the island of Vithela, Vith's Palace specifically, may be the best alternative.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/