Elemental interaction

From: Pete Nash <pete_at_pipistrel.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:13:36 +0000

I hust want to add my vote to David Cheng and (especially) Jon Thorvaldson for the ideas of ignoring or even mythically dismissing whole aspects of r/w science.

As David said, removing some basic science from Glorantha helps the players enter a frame of mind more suitable to their characters. I have always had problems quashing scientific solutions which my highly technical players come up with.

Small changes such as fire not requiring air to burn don't have much of a knock on effect, as in the example given. Why would a character put a candle in an air tight pot? Surely they'd blow the flame away using the powers of storm! These little modifications help players enter a mythic mindframe, and distance Glorantha from the many r/w associations people attach to it. No bellows for smiths in my game. To increase its heat you need a hungry fire salamander, and some poor apprentice to keep throwing logs into its flames.

I for example never allow fly spells to work underwater. Flight only works in air, and even touching a body of water will cause the spell to fail. A decision I took to my own character's detriment many years ago. Wearing plate ment certain doom once the spell failed, but both myself and the GM thought that the elements should counter each rather than work in concert.

Wind blows out fire. Water quenches fire. Earth smothers fire.

You can't fly undergroud, or in a large fire, or underwater.

Fire will burn earth, air and water, for do not air and water dislike heat and run away from it? Earth alas cannot run and dies in molten agony.

This is why whole cultures are both _limited_ and strengthened by their dedication to an elemental panthion. And why the strongest cultures try to dominate lesser gods of other elements so that a friend can wield what you cannot in a way to help your people.

Only allies can use differing elements to a final productive conclusion. But IMO the elements themselves should not be able to interact constructively together.

Your Glorantha may differ.

Pete