Re: God Learners in Kralorela

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:03:41 -0800

Keith Nellist

> Peter answers my points:my response in italics

In what? Formatting never transmits through mailing lists or digests.

> I didn't realise that the Brainlooters were a special organisation, I had
> assumed that it was a nickname for Godlearners

The God Learners (in one form or another) dominated over half of Glorantha at their peak. They certainly weren't a monolithic organization. The Empire of the Middle Sea was a true empire, composed of distinct states.

> Secondly the New Dragons Ring 'stopped being God Learners'.
>
> My point being that they then joined/took over the cult of Atyar.

Maybe; I figure that exposure to the Kralorelan mysteries made them drop large parts of the monomyth, the same way the Six Legged Empire did when exposed to the Doraddi beliefs. Both probably continued much of the God Learner philosophy, but were no longer mainstream.

> Godlearner "freebooters" (who sound
> like low morals type godlearners; perhaps they had been exiled from Jrustela,
> which is why they were seeking new land)

I doubt very much that the "freebooters" were exiled -- this is during a period when the Jrustelans are expanding everywhere. I think this means they were player characters, rather than official agents of a government.