Re: Issaries Inc. Plans

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:55:55 -0800

Sergio Mascarenhas de Almeida asked, and I will answer from my perspective as a board member.

Issaries Inc. certainly doesn't want Glorantha to be confined just to RPGs. But even with your generous help through the GTA, Issaries Inc. won't have the resources for some time to produce different types of products itself.

> Glorantha fiction - I hope you will start a line comics also. These will be
> a must for GMs and role players.

I will be talking to people in the comic business a bit more. I'd love to see a line of comics telling Gloranthan myths (the Lightbringers Quest would be killer), but making money in this field isn't easy, and Issaries should concentrate on things it knows how to do well. (Issaries Inc. is always happy to license Glorantha to someone who wants to do a comic.)

> What about skirmish and battle wargames? These may push the miniatures
> market.

It's my understanding that the market for these is worse than for RPGs right now.

> Computer games - are you going to integrate these with the net? This would
> be a must, and a good marketing trick, since it allows to extend the CD-rom
> directly into Issaries Inc home page. Why not include in all computer games
> a 'bonus' pdf basic version of Hero Wars with instructions on how to
> continue gaming without a computer?

Issaries definitely doesn't have the resources to create a computer game. Details of a computer game would be up to the licensee. Co-marketing makes a lot of sense.

> In fact, what is your policy concerning the net? Are there going to be
> products only edited and sold through the net (say, in pdf format)?

This is still being decided. There are a lot of issues, including the potential for theft. However, we do expect to provide downloadable information, such as play aids for the Hero Wars games (so you can print out your own copies of the charts).

I'm curious, though: do you actually have a computer with you when you play a role-playing game?

> Are there going to be MUD's, MUSHs, etc.?

Probably, though this isn't the first priority.