GTA rant

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:12:56 +0800

A couple of notes about the GTA rant from Brian Tickler

>I guess I have to expect that
>coming
>from someone who copyrights even the Q&A answers on his webpage.

        Actually, they are always copyright unless you are specifically told thay they are not. They just prudently tell everybody the situation so people do not have to have this explained to them after the fact.

>Issaries
>retains rights to the "session" with Greg, but the person that paid for
>the session doesn't?

        In other words, normal copyright laws are followed. If you receive a letter from someone, you do not normally receive copyright to the contents. Its an analagous situation. If you have a conversation with someone, that does not give you a general right to redistribute the contents of that conversation. That you have paid for it is unusual, but does not change the fundamentals. If you don't think the benefit is worth it, don't invest.

        And yes, the cost benefits do not really weight up. Thats because they are trying to raise money. Through donations. And then sweetening the donation with a few benefits. Its simple really. If you don't like it, remain a customer.

>the primary reason Issaries was split into its own company
>was to
>insulate everyone (but the loyal fans) from the highly risky strategy
>you're undertaking.

        The primary reason it was split into its own company was, simply to keep Glorantha publications and Chaosium separate. It works both ways - Issaries is insulated from Chaosiums risks as well as the other way round. Its separate so Glorantha is not the same business as Lovecraft book publishing, Arthurian RPGs, CCGs, Wizards Attic or all the other Chaosium stuff. Sounds fine and sensible to me.

	Cheers
		David