A Wonderful Source Website

From: John Patrick Hughes <nysalor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 02:37:21 -0800 (PST)

Heys Folks,

Like most of the tribe, I've collected hundreds and hundreds of bookmarks for Glorantha and source-related websites over the years. However, having recently gone back to the Regio Anglorum site, which covers Anglo-Saxon England from 950-1066, I have to rate it as one of the best sources ever for Orlanthi-type background and ideas.

Regio Anglorum is an Anglo-Saxon recreation society, though thankfully it seems a lot less, well, SCAish than the SCA (if ya know what I mean :) ).

There are excellent articles on dozens of topics, I especially love the photos, and detail of the crafting, food and place articles.

The main page is at

http://www.regia.org/listings.htm#index

John

Here's an index list of all the Regia web pages accessible from the main page:

Articles

'A Brief History of Anglo-Saxon England' - Article.
'Anglo-Saxon Military Organisation' - Article.
'Anglo-Saxon Social Organisation' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 3 Axes' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 7 Helmets' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 6 Mail Armour' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 4 Missile Weapons' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 2 Scramseaxes' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 8 Shields' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 1 Spears' - Article.
'Arms and Armour - Part 5 Swords' - Article.
'A Nice Little Earner' - The slave trade in Anglo-Saxon England.
'A Spring Warmer' - An alternative recipe for jugged hare!
'The Battle of Hastings' - Article.
'Bone and Antler Working' - Article.
'Braid Weaving' - Article.
'Bronzeworking' - Article.
'Charcoal Burning' - The results of an experiment in charcoal burning.
'Church Organisation' - The organisation of the church in Anglo-Saxon
England.
'Clerical Vestments' - The vestments worn by the Anglo-Saxon clergy.
'Early Medieval Brewing' - The results of an experiment in brewing
early medieval beer.
'Embroidery Techniques' - Embroidery techniques used in Anglo-Saxon
England.
'Experimental Pottery Kilns: 1' - The results of an experimental
pottery firing.
'Fauna' - The animal life of Anglo-Saxon England.
'Feasting and Fasting' - Article.
'Fishing in Early Medieval Times' - Article.
'Flora' - The plant life of Anglo-Saxon England.
'Food and Drink' - Article.
'For What It's Worth' - Costs and the value of money in Anglo-Saxon
England.
'Games of the Viking and Anglo-Saxon Age' - Article.
'Glass and Amber' - Glass and amber working in the Viking Age.
'History of the Normans' - Article.
'Houses and Furniture' - Article.
'How Do We Know?' - How do we know about life in the past?
'How the Healing Herb Became' - Ancient folklore on the origins of the
healing herb.
'Iron Working' - Article.
'Kingmakers' - The story of the House of Godwin.
'King Vs. Pope' - Why did the Pope support William's invasion of
England?
'Language' - How the language of the Saxons and Vikings is still in
use today.
'Leather Working' - Article.
'Lucets' - Weaving cords using a lucet.
'Monastic Life' - Everyday life for monks.
'Much Ado About Bondage' - Lamellar armour from Byzantium.
'Music and Verse' - Article.
'Nalebanding' - Textile production using the nalebinding technique.
'Non-ferrous Metalworking' - Article.
'Norman Social Organisation' - Article.
'Oven Building' - An experimental oven.
'Pastimes of the Viking and Anglo-Saxon Age' - Article.
'Pottery' - Article.
'Sprang' - Weaving using the sprang technique.
'Stone Working' - Article.
'Textiles' - Article.
'The Anglo-Saxon Fyrd c.400 - 878A.D.' - Article.
'The Anglo-Saxon Fyrd c.878 - 1066A.D.' - Article.
'The Bayeux Tapestry - Further Interpretations' - Swords and
swordbelts on the Bayeux Tapestry.
'The Clan Ivarr' - The descendants of Ivarr the Boneless.
'The Conversion of the Pagans' - Article.
'The Cymry' - The Welsh in the 10th/11th century.
'The Long Arm of the Law' - Law and order in Anglo-Saxon England.
'The Origins of the Anglo-Saxon Church' - Article.

'Quills 1' - Article.
'Quills 2' - Cutting a quill pen.
'Quills 3' - Types of ink.
'The Role of the Church' - The role of the Church in Anglo-Saxon
Society.
'The Write Stuff' - Manuscript and book production in Anglo-Saxon
England.
'They Didn't Have Bows, Did They?' - Archery in Anglo-Saxon England.
'To Be Christian, Or Not To Be Christian' - A humorous conversation
between a missionary monk and a pagan Viking.
'Trade in Anglo-Saxon England' - Article.
'Viking Military Organisation' - Article.
'Viking Social Organisation' - Article.
'Vikings!' - Article.
'Welsh Warfare' - War in Wales in the 10th/11th century.
'Who Were the Anglo-Saxons?' - Article.
'Who Were the Celts?' - Article.
'Who Were the Huscarles?' - Article.
'Who Were the Normans?' - Article.
'Who Were the Vikings?' - Article.
'Woodworking' - Article.
'Wool and Stuff' - Which textiles were available in Anglo-Saxon England.

Regia Anglorum
'Regia Anglorum' - What is Regia Anglorum all about?
'Membership' - What does Regia Anglorum offer its members?
'Publications' - Books, Journals and other items published by Regia
Anglorum.
'Merchandise' - Various merchandise associated with Living History and
Regia Anglorum.
'Anglo-Saxon Books' - Books on many aspects of Anglo-Saxon England and
the Old English Language.
'Bodgit & Bendit' - Reproduction jewellery and pottery.

The Villagers
'Flfric pe Colwyrhta' - The charcoal burner.
'Flfstan pe Preost' - The priest.
'Baldred pe Crocwyrhta' - The potter.
'Bass pe Fiscere' - The fisherman.
'Cynric pe Stanwyrhta' - The stonemason.
'Edgar pe Banwyrhta' - The boneworker.
'Godric pe Treowyrhta' - The carpenter.
'Gytha pe Webbestre' - The weaver.
'Ivar pe Leperwyrhta' - The leatherworker.
'Maccus pe Glfswyrhta' - The glassworker.
'Siward pe Mynetere' - The moneyer.
'Porvald pe Scop' - The storyteller.
'Ulfbert pe Isensmip' - The blacksmith.
'Wiglaf pe Mfstlingsmip' - The bronzesmith.
'Wulfwyn pe Bfcestre' - The baker.

Places
'Acmylen' - The mill.
'Dudda's Drenchus' - The village tavern.
'The Estate of Wichamstow'.
'The Manor of Drengham' - Eorl Godwin's manor.
'Linstede' - Dunstan's Farm
'The Quayside'.
'The Village of Wichamstow'.
'St. Alphege's Church' - The village church.
'St. Werberg's Mynster' - The monastery.
'Swinwudu' - The forest.
'Wichamstow Market' - The village market.

Stories and Poems
'Christmas Eve'.
'The Forging'.
'The Old Warrior'.
'The Taxman'.
'Valhalla'.
'Warriors'.

==

"Language is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes  for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the  stars to pity."

                                                                 Flaubert. "Madam Bovary".