Re: Bronze Age feel

From: KWinland_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:52:31 EST

Howdy!

>Bronze age feel...

I was referring more to the "feel" of early RQ backgrounds, not to the technology, which is readily evident as a mixture of periods. A lot of the early fiction (for example, "The Smell of a Rat" in the RQ Companion") struck me as having a Bronze Age feel, which I thought was appealing and different from other games on the market. :)

>Dendra panoply....

Actually the Dendra panoply is Middle Bronze Age (15th-14th century), and represents a narrow facet of armour design of the time. Late Bronze Age (14-12th century) armour consisted of more recognizable (to a gamer) scale, linen, leather, etc.

>Hittites and Mycenaeans....

What we refer to Hittites and Mycenaeans were Bronze Age, not early Iron Age (hence the deisgnations MBA, LBA, with subdivisions). Although the Hittites played around with iron blooms since the 17th century BCE, it was not very sophisticated.

I know that Glorantha is a synthesis, if you will, of a number of cultures and technologies, but the published background in the late 70's and very early 80's just struck me as having a VERY Classical and Pre-Classical feel (with some of the stories, Luise Perrene's art, etc.). Some supplements (Pavis, for example) certainly did NOT... :) My interest is in discovering the flavour of the newer background materials for Glorantha and see if some of the cultural elements of the groups and polities have changed (after all, Glorantha has been growing all of these years).

Ken

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #494