Re: 99% Orthodox

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 19:13:25 +0100

Alex gently chides me:

> It's incorrect to imply that 99% of Gloranthans believe in an 'orthodox
> philosophy' _about Chaos_ that corresponds to the Conventional Wisdom
> that you sum up, quite correctly, as the Theyalan position, and pretty
> close, so far as I can see, to the Western and Naturalist one. But I
> suggest that 20 Million Pelorians and Kralori can't be wrong!

I agree completely, and this was not what I was saying. To clarify: 99% of those twenty million Pelori-Kralori types believe an *orthodox* *Pelorian* or *Kralori* philosophy about Chaos, not a heterodox Theyalan, Jrusteli or Praxian one.

The speculations that have recently beset the Digest have been weirdly played-down interpretations of Theyalo-Jrusteli-Praxian ("conventional") Chaos Theory (e.g. Chaos is natural; the Devil is just another god; Orlanth is as chaotic as Wakboth; the Real World has Nature in it too so Chaos must be Natural; if Chaos isn't natural then Chaos doesn't exist; the Compromise was an explicit agreement to include Chaos in Glorantha; I forget what else), and not (AFAIK) attempts to define either Pelorian or Kralori beliefs.

I would suggest that clarifying what the orthodox Pelorian/Kralori beliefs about Chaos, Cosmos and Compromise actually *are* would be more worthwhile than launching into heretical speculations which deliberately warp the well-known and well-documented Theyalan, Praxian and indeed Monomythic beliefs about Chaos.

So as not to appear wholly argumentative, Alex also writes:

> Too much rubbish by me in #560, mind you.

I heartily concur! :-)

Cheers, Nick