Dwarven Work to Rule

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:30:07 EDT

Richard Crawley
<<
  Therefore there will have been specific sailor dwarves before The Closing=2E

 So what duties would these have been allocated to when The Closing  meant their function had been overtaken by events some 600 years ago?

 I thought it might be MGF if a few of them were still around today but there  had to be a new batch of sailor dwarves created since The Closing

I quite like these ideas. The 'redundant' sailor dwarves would presumably have been sat around doing nothing for this time (there is a dwarf in Elder Secrets like this). Perhaps they spent their Work Periods polishing the submarine, keeping all the parts in good working order.

My take on dwarves is that they can be played a bit like workers in a modern day (or perhaps a couple of decades ago) environment - but taken to extremes - - trade unions (Octamonists), Free Market managers (openhandists), senior management (diamonds), IT dept (gold) etc. So, with these redundant sailors, octamonists think they should only do their specified tasks (work to rule), openhandists think that they should find something useful to do, perhaps hire themselves out to humans and other animals, some diamonds want to recycle them, the gold dwarves have lost their employment records etc etc. The 'new batch' could be subject to Luddite behaviour, picketing, etc. Some old sailors are willing to retrain, others are not. etc etc. I like the Khmer Rouge idea but think that it is a bit bloodthirsty for Mostali.

Keith N