more Bat

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:34:58 +0800

Peter
>Sheng Seleris did face Yara Aranis who IMO is much worse than the
>Bat. So it may be that he defeat the Bat with ease.

        Yara Aranis was created specially to defeat Pentan nomads. I agree with Peter that she is almost certainly a more dangerous foe for Sheng than the bat would have been. I don't think Sheng would have been that perturbed by the bat - Sheng is certainly smart enough to aim at its mythic weaknesses (such as its dependency on the bat cult). The bat is a very imposing foe for a party of PCs, but for someone with great magically empowered armies behind him, the bat is not that big a foe - its only a (4) in DP afterall....

>As for Jannisor not fighting the Bat, the only thing that I can think
>of is that he participated in a civil war within the Lunar Empire. In
>such cases, use of the Bat might not be a good thing to use against
>enemy cities, or even might have defected to the other side (like the
>CharUn did).

        I wonder if its ancient connections to Rinliddi could have been exploited somehow by an enterprising T&Jer? Though the bat has good mythic reason to side with the Lunars rather than the Dara Happans. I suspect it was probably on the Lunar side in Jannisors rebellion, but, as Peter suggested, perhaps there were good political reasons not to have the bat running amuck in the central Oslir valley.

        Regards

                David