Re: What is a WWW character?

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:32:17 -0700

>People have been talking about levels of mastery/expertise etc with Eric
>saying that WWW doesn't come close to being a superhero (okay so I
>paraphrase). What I want to know is does that mean a person with one WWW
>skill or a person with a range of skills/abilities at WWW. Using RQ terms
>would characters, one with 90% in listen and the other with 90% in
>perception both be considered 90% characters? (Using 90% as a corollary for
>WWW)
Doesn't really matter. 90% in Listen itself is meaningless, really, and not a corollary for anything. In RQ it is arbitrarily set in terms of actual ability by the GM for each case. Think about it and how it actually works in game play. Does 90% mean your chance of hearing a conversation between two others a few feet away, a dozen, in the next room, in the next county? It means what the GM wants it to mean. This makes comparisons of strength meaningless because they are actually set by the GM/narrator, not by the system. HW and all RPGs suffer this same problem to some degree, but HW will at least attempt to give solid guidelines for narrator arbitration.

The bottom line is that things like 90% and 4E3 (E=expertise level) are tools for the gm/narrator to use to fit their estimate of the probability of successful player actions, with the benefit of comparisons between players or characters for the same act being consistent and thus not arbitrary decisions by the gm like most rolls really are. In RQ this consistency breaks down at higher levels, in HW it does not.

Eric Rowe