Indomitability; Web page

From: Neil Smith <neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:47:58 +0000

Yelmalions seem hard done by in terms of the rune spells available to them. To help redress the balance, I think they know of this spell:

When cast, the recipient of this spell must specify a specific, easily described task (e.g. 'Attack that hill', 'Guard this position', 'Tell the Truth'). For the duration of the spell, the recipient single-mindedly does his utmost to achieve that task, whatever the personal cost. While under the effect of this spell, the recipient can be persuaded that his actions are wrong, dangerous, or otherwise a bad idea. However, such persuasion will have no effect on the recipient's performance of the specified task. Emotion-affecting magics behave normally, but do not change the recipient's single-minded approach to the specified task.

This spell is often used to ensure acts of heroic (suicidal) bravery in battle. It is also sometimes used in courts of law to bolster scared or dishonourable witnesses.

I've also put some bits and pieces on the web, available at:

www.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk/departments/dois/staff/smithn/personal/

Have a look and tell me what you think.

Neil.